Wikimania planning discussion/notes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Notes from the Wikimania open discussion
- Notes from the Wikimania_planning session and discussion at Wikimania 2009
- participants: several chapter representatives, staff members (Frank, Cary, James); other interested parties
what is the purpose of wikimania?
The conference is for...
- It was noted that in the current form of the conference (3 day conference) it is very difficult to have everyone who might be interested
- question: perhaps we should have a four day wikimania?
- with one open day just to talk?
- or an open day with lightning talks?
- question: do the same people always come to Wikimania?
- answer: to some extent yes
- question: should we open up wikimania? --
- note: wikimania has been a large global event for 400ppl; how much more open do we want it?
- shouldn't we meet representatives from other organizations and invite them to come? the staff are going to all sorts of conferences
- some want Wikimania to stay the same size it's been
- should wikimania be everything for everybody?
more Wikimedia meetings?
- Frank S. asked discussion participants if they would like to have more general Wikimedia meetings. He has noticed that many participants have said they would like to meet more often; for instance, the chapters meeting in march & then wikimania
- yes -- there was general agreement that this would be good
- there is a question of regional conferences vs local conferences
- idea: alternating regional conferences & global conferences (problem: the board can't come to all)
- James noted that the time commitment is a lot for the board --
3 day meeting just for chapters, board & staff,
Types of events: regional vs international
- there are currently three types of events:
- international wikimania
- national conferences -- e.g. wikimedia netherlands
- regional conferences (e.g. wm-nyc)
- plus: chapters meeting -- every spring
- Regional meetings:
- would it be the easier if it were always in the same venue?
- example: new york conference -- excellent local conference
- if we see benefit from a regional conference -- then we should do it? chapters can do whateverever they want
- take the model of other foundations -- e.g. the Apache Foundation
Wikimania and board meetings
- 2 days for the board meeting this time -- should wikimania be a business meeting?
- the board should have been at:
- discussion sessions
- the first night welcome dinner (not conflicting with the sponsor's dinner)
- have everyone together in the same hotel; seems like a class difference (there were logistical reasons why not)
Recap of 2009
- what was good about wikimania 2009?
- video recording
- simultaneous translation -- closed captioning? could we get them to sponsor us?
- getting fiber into the venue
- unconference --
- things to improve:
- party -- not noisy so people can talk
- big group dinner for everyone to meet
- better lunches -- onsite
Ideas for future Wikimanias
- dinner planning
- outdoor hanging out in the venue
- outdoor hanging out in the old town
- have irc & twitter projected on the wall -- a screen with all the tweets displayed
Lightning talks and program ideas
- lots of value for having the program; unconference & formal talks together ++++++
- lightning talk ideas:
- lightning talks in the lounge
- lightning talks in a big hall that everyone could go to? a signup sheet --
- opening each day with a rundown of what has happened