What are your travel plans for Buenos Aires?
- See how this was used for Alexandria.
- 1 When will you be there?
- 2 Tourism plans?
- 2.1 Before the conference
- 2.2 Wikipedia:Wikivoices
- 2.3 After the conference
- 2.4 La Pampa and Cordoba
- 3 Notes
When will you be there?
Conference is 2009-08-26 to 2009-08-28
- Arriving August 24; leaving September 6. Eclecticology and Christine, User:Jon Harald Søby
- Arriving August 23; leaving August 29. Philippe 13:58, 16 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 22; leaving August 29. Church of emacs, Bücherwürmlein
- Arriving August 22; leaving September 3. User:Jojoon
- Arriving August 21; leaving August 29. User:Sundar
- Arriving August 20; leaving September 6 Nearly Headless Nick
- Arrived August 11th leaving Sept 4th WereSpielChequers 18:32, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving on August 25; leaving on September 4.--Pedist 07:59, 15 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 26; leaving August 30 Saper, going to be a challenge
- Arriving August 25; leaving August 31 Erik Zachte
- Arriving August 25; leaving August 29 Vlady Herman "El Ágora"
- Arriving August 24; leaving August 29 --Gomà 07:41, 17 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 23; leaving September 4 Witty lama 07:50, 17 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 22; leaving August 30 User:Aude (though possible, I may change my mind and stay longer)
- Arriving August 25; leaving August 29 Mayo Fuster Morell User:Lilaroja
- Arriving August 25; leaving August 29 Enric Senabre Hidalgo User:esenabre
- Arriving August 22; leaving September 05 --Catrin Presse 14:07, 19 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 22; leaving August 29 --Duesentrieb 07:46, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 24; leaving August 29 --Takot 17:51, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 22; leaving August 29 -- --Itzike 13:12, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 24; leaving August 31 -- Effeietsanders 15:07, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 25; leaving August 29 -- IvanLanin 15:26, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
- Arriving August 25; leaving 29 (maybe I will add 5 days) --Morisco 01:56, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
Do you have tourism plans? Want to go with a group of people?
Before the conference
Note possible dates, where you want to go, how to get there
Wetlands & Iguazu
- Sundar and I are planning to visit places (including cultural centres and national reserves) prior to the conference between August 20 and August 24. Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington 21:23, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
We have sort of negotiated a decent-looking deal for stay and activities in Ibera wetlands including pickup from/drop to Mercedes. If we could go in groups of 3, it would be a cool deal. Please indicate if you're interested. It would also help if local volunteers can help us verify whether the deals are good or we could go further down. Please also suggest alternate trip plans to other places. Thanks. -- Sundar 03:12, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
- Aug 22 6:30 a.m. from Buenos Aires by bus to Mercedes
- Aug 22 5 pm reaching lodge in Ibera (the lodge shall arrange for pickup from Mercedes in a 4x4)
- Aug 23 - Aug 24 wetland visits in boat and wildlife walks plus visit to the interpretation centre
- Aug 25 morning bus from Mercedes to BA (the lodge will arrange for drop in 4x4)
For a 3 member group, the total package price quoted is USD 250 per person for both the nights in a 3-person room (twin-sharing and single rooms are also there for additional cost). It also includes 6 meals cost of activities. They'll book the bus tickets to and from Mercedes for us if required (we need to pay the bus fare, of course). They've also indicated that they'll likely give a little more discount.
Eva Peron 21st August
I'm going to en:La Recoleta Cemetery today at 2pm local time (5pm utc), If you miss me at the entrance I'm hoping to find Evita's place by about 2.30. (look for a tourist with a dark green rucksack) NB If wet go somewhere else. WereSpielChequers 03:17, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
For those of you already in Buenos Aires or arriving during the weekend... Perhaps we could meet on Sunday (Aug. 23) morning to see some interesting places. I could help as an amateur guide (after all, I love my town) and telling true or plausible stories. A secondary, but not at all negligible, goal would be to familiarize you with the Buenos Aires public transportation system, dos and don´ts. Bring clothes and shoes comfortable enough for a relaxed but long walk.
- Proposed time
10:00 AM local time (1300Z UTC)
In front of the National Congress ("Congreso" station, "A" subway line, please do not confuse with "Congreso de Tucumán", "D" line). If cold/rainy, let's meet at the bar in the northeast corner of the Congress
- If you plan to come, please add yourself to the list below (and/or leave me a message or send me an email.
WereSpielChequers- I've just spotted that consensus seems to be for one hour earlier at the Bauen - see below WereSpielChequers 03:48, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
Enjoy your stay! Cinabrium 06:34, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
Sightseeing in Buenos Aires (22−24)
- What? Visit Buenos Aires (sightseeing, museums, etc.) and get known to each other
- When? August, 22nd – 24th (perhaps also on other dates, depends on the wishes of participants) Update: 3.5 Meeting point for 24rd is 9:30 AM at breakfast (Hotel Bauen) and/or 10:00 AM in the Foyer of Hotel Bauen. Please be on time.
- Church of emacs (de-N, en-3, es-0)
- bücherwürmlein (de-N, en-3, es-1)
- Vlady Herman (es-N, en-2, it-2, pt-2)
- Duesentrieb (de-N, en-3, es-0)(maybe. i'll also attend the hacking days and may be needed for talks with wmf folks before the conference)
- Aude 09:25, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- Itzike (he-N, en-3)
- Sophie karl
- add yourself here!
- Potential places to visit:
- Plaza de Mayo geo
- Teatro Colón geo
- Palacio del Congreso de la Nación Argentina (congress palace) geo
- Some interesting museums
- es:Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires (MALBA) - Modern Latin American art geo
- Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes - National museum of fine arts geo
- Museo Nacional de Arte Decorativo - Decorative arts museum geo
- Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales "Bernardino Rivadavia" - Natural sciences museum (some interesting fossils of dinosaurs and big extinct animals) geo
- I went there yesterday - they allow photos everywhere except the aquarium and there is quite a bit worth doing. WereSpielChequers 17:37, 16 August 2009 (UTC)
- Palacio de Aguas Corrientes - a French renaissance-style palace designed to house the main water pumping station for Buenos Aires geo
- es:Museo de Arte Hispanoamericano Isaac Fernández Blanco - Art and objects of Spanish America from the conquest to the independence geo
- Notes: The first three museums are very close: a good opportunity to visit all them and and walking a little bit. More places to be added soon.
- Bus 29 (2h, 40km, cheap, route: La Boca->San Telmo->Plaza de Mayo->Teatro Colón->Belgrano->...)
- This is only a rough collection, please add more sights to the list --Church of emacs 15:51, 12 August 2009 (UTC)
Visit to Uruguay
I am interested in a visit to Uruguay (either Colonia del Sacramento or Montevideo) before the conference. I arrive in Buenos Aires in the morning on August 22, so could leave on the ferry that afternoon. We could come back in the afternoon on August 24. I'm open to going to either place, but there won't be enough time to see both. Aude 16:02, 17 August 2009 (UTC)
- May go after the conference instead. Aude 09:24, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
I will go to Colonia del Sacramento August 23, leaving Buenos Aires at 11.30 and returning at 1700 the same day with the fast ferry.--Ainali 18:27, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
After the conference
- Sundar and I are all for it, but we'll probably go before the conference, because Sundar departs on August 29, 2009. Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington 21:23, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
- Was thinking of going to Iguazu falls after conference, could potentially go up on Saturday for 2-3 days. Might be best to ask some Argentinian wikipedians where to book Tpbradbury 16:39, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
- I'm planning for Iguazu sometime after the conference. -- Phoebe 16:50, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
- I am scheduled to leave on August 30, but might be convinced to stay longer for something like this. Aude 16:05, 17 August 2009 (UTC)
- So, my plan is: evening Aug. 29 bus from BA (circa 215 peso one way), two nights in hostel (ca 7 euro/night), Sep. 1 back to BA. You're welcome Szwedzki 23:55, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
- This sounds good. Do we need to buy tickets in advance, online? --Rainman 18:40, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
- Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington and I went there and the falls were amazing! You can buy the bus tickets from the bus station though I think there are online booking options as well. Cama (nearly full-sleeper) buses are really good and it cost USD 70 one way (including two meals and snacks that they deliver onboard). 29th being a Saturday, you might want to book it early. -- Sundar 22:07, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
Jon and I, and possibly Revi are visiting Montevideo and Colonia Del Sacramento in Uruguay after the conference, tentatively between August 30 and September 3/4. Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington 21:23, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
- Interested, though I only have time to go to Colonia on August 29 and come back the next day. It's possible I may change my return date, and have more time. Aude 09:28, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- Interested, especially if we start with Colonia after which I will go back to Buenos Aires at the same day. --Ainali 02:20, 24 August 2009 (UTC)
- Shall we go together?--Pedist 17:42, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
- Can you be more specific about what time and ferry you already have tickets to? --Ainali 13:22, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
Is anyone interested in going to see River Plate play Chacarita on Sunday, 30 August at 14:00? I'm looking to buy tickets at the stadium before the conference is over. --ChrisM 13:29, 28 August 2009 (UTC)
Planning to go there.--Pedist 16:44, 18 August 2009 (UTC)
I didn't have time to go on the sightseeing that was done before Wikimania, here is my List of Places, it's all in Buenos Aires and it will be on the 29th.
- en:La Recoleta
- en:Buenos Aires Botanical Garden
- en:The Water Company Palace
- en:Museum of Foreign Dept
I live in Buenos Aires and would be happy to get together for touristing with people who are still around. My phone number is 11 6792 8402. Kragen 17:54, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
La Pampa and Cordoba
Planning to go there. --Morisco 01:57, 23 August 2009 (UTC)